Tuesday 2 December 2014

Chickpea, Carrot & Coriander Falafels

For every 10 'brown rice' mega healthy recipes I try out on the kids they actually try, eat and enjoy 1. This a recent hit. Super easy, very cheap and I have been known to eat a whole batch to myself. It is taken from A Girl Called Jack which is awesome for veggie pulse and grain based dishes. Of course my boys smother theirs in sweet mango chutney but other than that they really are health food disguised as mini burgers.

Makes 12ish falafels (4–6 per person) - I have never made this stretch to this many..... 8 is my limit!

1 onion
1 carrot
a generous shake of ground cumin
1 tablespoon oil, plus 2 tablespoons to fry the falafel
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed thoroughly
a handful of chopped parsley
a handful of chopped coriander
1 tablespoon flour, plus extra to shape the falafel

Peel and finely chop the onion and wash and grate the carrot.
Put in a frying pan, add the cumin and fry together in the 1 tablespoon of oil over a low heat for a few minutes until softened.

Tip the cooked onion and carrot into a large mixing bowl along with the chickpeas, add the chopped parsley and coriander and stir in the flour. Mash it all together with a potato masher or fork until the chickpeas have broken down into a mush. The oil from the carrots and onion will help combine the chickpeas together, but you may need to add up to 2 tablespoons of water so the mixture can be shaped.

Flour your hands and mould the mixture into about 12 golf ball shapes. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the saut̩ pan and fry the balls until golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside Рthis will take about 10 minutes.


Tip: Instead of making falafels, shape the mixture into 4 burger patties and fry on each side. These are delicious with mango chutney or ketchup.

1 comment:

  1. Ripper! I've lost my cooking mojo so I'm going to give these a burl. Anything that wins with kids I say!

    ReplyDelete